In a move that sounds like an April Fools’ Day trick from seven years ago, the Wall Street Journal’s arts & entertainment section, Speakeasy, is reporting that Netflix will be working with Nintendo to develop a live-action Legend of Zelda series. According to a source close to the matter, the show is currently seeking writers to create a show similar to, “‘Game of Thrones’ for a family audience.”
Both a Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment and a Nintendo spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for a comment to the Wall Street Journal, who carries a warning that such a project could be killed by either party.
More from Nintendo
- New Nintendo Selects Line Discounts Old Favorites
- Pokemon Sun And Pokemon Moon Coming Holiday 2016
- Nintendo Modifies Fiscal Year 2016 Forecast With More Losses
- Possible New Pokemon Trademarks Filed, No Official Word
- It’s Time, Pokemon Fans! Pokemon Nintendo Direct Incoming
As much as Nintendo live-action rumors come and pass, even as recently as this past holiday season with Sony Pictures’ leak revealing Nintendo was working on nailing down an animated Mario Bros. movie, there seems to be some legs to this report. If Nintendo is even entertaining conversations to make movie content for their most beloved IP, the idea of a Legend of Zelda series being developed for a demographic that appreciates the series the most internationally is quite possible.
It has been more than 22 years since the Super Mario Bros. movie had reached theaters to the unwelcomed jeers of moviegoers. In a short-run series focused on Link and his exploits in a fully-realized Hyrule, if treated with the same respects as a House of Cards is for mature audiences, a Legend of Zelda TV series aimed at families on Netflix could turn out quite well.
We’ll keep our eyes out on more information as it becomes available.
More from GameSided
- Get Gaming/Video Games News, in the New FanSided Android App
- GameSided Is Moving To The Newly Revamped App Trigger
- Uncharted 4 Delayed Til May
- Heroes of the Storm North America Spring Regional Recap
- No Man’s Sky Pre-orders Up Thursday…Or Not?
Looking to write about video games? Join us at GameSided! Contact me to apply or if you have any inquiries/tips: email@example.com.