Just 20% Of Battlefield Hardline Console Sales Were On Last-Gen


During EA’s latest earnings call last night, it was revealed that 80% of Battlefield Hardline owners (on consoles) bought the game on the Xbox One and Playstation 4, leaving just 20% who picked the game up on last-gen, for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

More from News

The news may come as a surprise to some. Despite the new consoles having been in circulation for over a year now, not many would have predicted that the sales ratio would be as one-sided.

EA were quick to mention that they do not plan to drop support for last-generation consoles as of yet, although EVP Blake Jorgensen admitted that there will be a “slow movement away from Gen-3 [Xbox 360 and PS3]”, and that they will be making careful decisions as to which games will still receive a release on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles in the future.

So, the question remains – how long is it going to be profitable to release these games on last-gen consoles? Some gamers also feel that by trying to adhere to the requirements of four different devices, the potential of certain games are held back by the restrictions of older hardware. However, the people behind games such as Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2 and even the Battlefield series itself, would argue that quality is not being compromised.

I still believe that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have a place in the video game market for many years to come, for certain genres at least. Sports games in particular always seem to sell.

In fact, the Playstation and Playstation 2’s final official game releases were both Soccer titles (FIFA 2005 and PES 2014 respectively), whereas the original Xbox and Gamecube’s final games were both from the Madden NFL series.

For the rest – only time will tell. It remains to be seen just how long the Battlefield series will continue to have a home on Gen-3, but if these sales figures are anything to go by, it’s days are numbered.

More from GameSided