It may not get the press that bigger rpg series like Final Fantasy does, but the Tales series has been chugging along for almost 20 years, garnering a pretty strong cult following among jrpg fans. It’s always been a pretty familiar set-up, with the biggest change ever in the series going from a 2D real time battle system to a 3D one (and that was over a decade ago). But there’s something to be said for a series that works to finely tune itself to be familiar yet still fun and fresh for fans. It’s great jrpg comfort food and there is good value in that when some series are desperately trying to re-invent the wheel and failing horribly.
More from Features
- Top 10 Telltale Games (So Far)
- ComboFiend Talks Tier Lists & Going Pro In Street Fighter V
- Interview With Cissy Jones, Voice Of Delilah In Firewatch
- Super Bowl 50: The Madden 16 Simulation
- GameSided’s Top 10 Game of the Year 2015 List
The latest entry, Tales of Xillia 2, comes out for the PlayStation 3 this Tuesday and I thought it would be a good time to look back at the 5 best entries in the storied series (at least that have come out in the U.S. thus far).