It is more than just an excellent The Strokes song; SOMA is the upcoming survival horror game developed by indie company Frictional Games (Penumbra, Amnesia). Even though the slated release is for 2015, SOMA has just received another teaser trailer.
Over at the PlayStation Blog, the game’s creative director Thomas Grip details what is known about the SOMA project to date. So far, their internal speculation is that the game will last about 8 hours, with 5 playable hours in their current pre-alpha stage. Additionally, they have 5 goals in attacking SOMA’s development.
- The feeling of a story-rich narrative. Immersion into a story is key over self-awareness of video game elements.
- Creating a well-crafter world. They want to make proper sci-fi that could be explained within the context of the real world.
- A variety of gameplay options. Very convoluted in their description, but seem to want to rely on subverting what it is to “game” through SOMA.
- Disturbing and dark themes. They look to create a thoughtful peace using theme, plot, characters and understanding.
- A gripping sense of horror. To be “Emotionally tasking to progress” is their main goal, a step forward from the horror styles of the Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
SOMA looks to be released on the PS4 and PC sometime in 2015. Check out the trailer below to get a better sense at what Frictional is driving at.
Want to get the latest gaming news sent directly to your inbox daily? Sign up for our newsletter below to get daily updates send straight to your e-mail. Just select Gamesided from the “Other Site” dropdown Menu! Also, don’t forget to connect with us on Twitter @Gamesideddotcom.
Gamesided is looking for bloggers to join the team. If interested in this position, please contact Daniel George at [email protected].