Video game maker Nintendo sank to a loss in the latest quarter as sales of its Wii U game console continued to be eroded by a shift to gaming on smartphones and tablets.
The Kyoto-based maker of Pokemon and Super Mario reported an 8 billion yen ($81 million) loss Wednesday for the three months ended Sept. 30. That virtually wiped out an 8.6 billion yen profit the previous quarter. Sales totaled 115 billion yen, a slight drop from the same quarter last year.
Quarterly Wii U sales nearly doubled to 300,000 units from 160,000 in the previous three months, but the total remained far short of the company’s goal of 9 million units for the fiscal year ending next March.
Electronic Arts is forecasting a combined shipment total of ten million PS4 and Xbox One units by the end of the publisher’s fiscal year on March 31, 2014.
EA chief operating officer Peter Moore said during the company’s second quarter earnings call last night (via Seeking Alpha): “When I talked to our friends at both Sony and Microsoft, and I’m trying to get some indications in the numbers that are going to be available for sale by the end of our fiscal year on March 31 and I aggregate them, I think I can squint and see ten million units combined, very easily.”
Despite being offered an “incomprehensible amount of money,” “30 Rock” and “The Departed” actor Alec Baldwin turned down a “Grand Theft Auto” voice work role because he did not want to damage his reputation, he told IndieWire in a new interview.
It is unclear which specific “GTA2″ character Baldwin turned down. A Rockstar Games representative was not immediately available to comment.
Past celebrities to work with Rockstar Games on “GTA” titles include Ray Liotta, Samuel L. Jackson, and Michael Madsen, among others.