With the regular season coming to a close, we finally have reached the MLB postseason. Here at GameSided we will be simulating the entirety of the playoffs thanks to Sony’s MLB 13: The Show and its new Postseason Mode, starting with the Cincinnati Reds on the road taking on the Pittsburgh Pirates at home.
Tonight’s probable pitchers are Johnny Cueto (5-2, 2.82 ERA, 60.2 IP, 1.05 WHIP), making his third start since coming off the DL to face the new and improved Francisco Liriano (16-8, 3.02 ERA, 161 IP, 1.22 WHIP). The real game starts at 8PM ET on TBS tonight, but we simulated this make-or-break game with the September 30 roster update earlier today. Here are the results:
- Shin-Soo Choo was the leader for the Reds offense, starting the game off with a triple and finishing 3-4 with a run.
- Todd Frazier was probably the team’s least valuable player in this crucial game, going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts.
- Jay Bruce also had a sub-par game, going 0-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
- Joey Votto had a very Votto-like game, going 1-3 with 2 walks and 0 RBI. Doesn’t mean he sucks!
- Brandon Phillips hit a double, had crazy smiles, went 1-4.
- Cueto was shellacked early and it wouldn’t let up. His final pitching line: 4.1 IP, 6 ER, 8 hits, 2 BB and 5 K’s.
- Andrew McCutchen did what he does best: steal bases (2), score runs (1) and hit doubles (1). He finished 3-5.
- Pedro Alvarez smoked a 2-run HR to dead center, finished going 1-4 with 2 K’s.
- J. Russell Martin went 2-4 with two singles, but also threw out Jay Bruce trying to steal second. Missed signal, maybe?
- Starling Marte matched Choo in hitting a triple, but did not do much else, going 1-4.
- Notable 0-fers: Neil Walker, Justin Morneau.
- Francisco Liriano started strong and tailed off near the end, going 7.1 innings and giving up 2 ER, 9 hits, 1 walk and striking out 7.
The Pittsburgh Pirates beat out the Cincinnati Reds 8-2 and advance to face the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Division Series this Thursday. Make sure to come back to GameSided tomorrow morning, as we will have the AL Wildcard MLB 13: The Show simulation between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Cleveland Indians!