In an effort to keep you informed of the week’s events, each Sunday morning we gather the best of what the news had to offer, as well as provide some of our staffer’s thoughts and opinions on events within the video game industry. It’s the GameSided Recap: Evo Edition!
The biggest fighting game tournament in the world, “Evolution Championship Series,” is wrapping up today! The finals for Street Fighter 4, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Injustice: Gods Among Us (plus DLC character reveal), King of Fighters XIII and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 all take place from 1PM EDT onward today, with free stream here on Twitch.tv. And with Evo grabbing most of the attention this week, a lot of eSports news has come to light.
- Before we get to that, you MUST read Nick Tylwalk’s review of “Slot Revolution.”
- Not sure what Evo is just yet? Read Daniel George’s Evo preview to get you all caught up!
- During the Evo streaming, Capcom announced five new characters and balancing fixes in a future update.
- The US Government recognized League of Legends as a pro sport “on par with NBA, NFL and NHL”, meaning top pros can apply for visas much easier.
- In other news, Grand Theft Auto V gameplay footage was released this week. The video and some words about it are available for your viewing pleasure here.
- It was revealed that a PS4’s digital library can be played on any console and you can play as you download, reducing the wait time required when playing new games.
- It will also be playable for the public for the first time at San Diego Comic-Con.
- NHL 14 is keeping it old school and adding an NHL 94 Anniversary Mode in its newest installation coming out this fall.
- Aaron Hernandez was removed from both upcoming Madden 25 and NCAA 14 after he was arrested in a murder investigation. Dropped from the Patriots, now from all sport gaming.
- Did you know that Video Games Day was this past Monday?
Kristian Cuaresma: @1on1Kris
Question of the Week
Who is your favorite fighting game character of all time?
Tags: GameSided Recap