One of the more common Xbox One technical issues worldwide is the “grinding noise of death.” Essentially, each time these affected consoles would receive a disk an ungodly grinding sound would screech out from the console. At the same time, the Xbox One would not be able to read the disk contents, rendering the Blu-Ray drive inoperable.
Fortunately, there is a quick-fix “solution” to this problem. Someone on the Xbox One Reddit community posted a video which makes the grinding noise seemingly disappear. WARNING: ATTEMPTING TO PERFORM THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY. CONTACTING MICROSOFT SUPPORT SHOULD BE PRIORITY #1.
If you don’t have time to watch the ~4 minute video and you want to temporarily fix your Xbox One’s disk drive error, here are the instructions:
- Power down the Xbox One.
- Unplug the console, making sure no disks or cables are attached.
- Flip the console upside-down. The Xbox One should be horizontal.
- Find the disk drive along the side of the now-flipped console and find the slot.
- Find the space parallel to the Blu-Ray player slot on top of the flipped Xbox One.
- With a clenched fist, bash that area with the base of your hand five times with medium-heavy force.
- Plug the Xbox One back in.
- Put in a disk. If you followed these instructions in accordance to the above video, your Xbox One should now be able to read disks.
I mention “quick,” and “temporary” fix because there is no guarantee that this problem won’t occur again in the future. While this may an easy way of making the Xbox One work in the interim, your best bet is getting into contact with Microsoft and talking with their technical support. You should accept the best help you can get, especially when it comes to a $500+ purchase. Just driving that message home.
Want to get the latest gaming news wherever you may be? Download the official Fansided App on the App Store or Google Play Market today to stay up-to-date on the latest news and rumors from Gamesided without even being at a computer. You can also sign up for our newsletter below to get daily updates send straight to your e-mail. And don’t forget to connect with us on Twitter @Gamesideddotcom.