The upcoming “EA Sports UFC” has a lot of people excited. And with good reason: not only is it being developed specifically for the PS4 and Xbox One, promising to bring all kinds of improvements to the virtual MMA experience via the Ignite engine, it’s allowing fans to have a say in who appears on the packaging through a cover vote.
Similar to the way the most recent “Madden” cover vote worked, we already know that UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones will have one spot on the cover. The voting determines the fighter who will appear beside him, and the first round, going on now, narrows the field down from 16 candidates to eight.
Here are the pairings in Round 1 of the “EA Sports UFC” cover vote:
- Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate, a match-up that features the two most bitter rivals among the UFC’s roster of female fighters
- Popular bantamweight Urijah Faber vs. English middleweight contender (though currently injured) Michael Bisping
- UFC Lightweight Champion Anthony “Showtime” Pettis vs. UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson
- Long-reigning UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre vs. the man who knocked out Anderson Silva, UFC Middleweight Champion Chris Weidman
- Number one welterweight contender Johny Hendricks vs. oft-injured UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz
- Explosive Brazilian UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo vs. former lightweight champ Benson Henderson
- Alexander Gustafsson, the first man to really push Jones to the limit, vs. rising heavyweight star Daniel Cormier
- Former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos (current titleholder Cain Velasquez is conspicuously absent) vs. outspoken showman Chael Sonnen
You can head to the UFC cover vote page right now to support your favorites in every match-up. Round 1 ends on November 10, with the round of eight commencing the next day. The process will continue until the final round begins on November 25.
“EA Sports UFC” is set to release on PS4 and Xbox 360 on May 5, 2014.
PSA: Gamesided is looking for writers to join the staff as the next generation of gaming approaches. Our writers have to ability to express their passion for gaming to hundreds of thousands of people in our worldwide audience. They also get chances to review the latest games before they are released to the public. If interested in becoming part of the Gamesided staff, contact Nick Tylwalk at [email protected]!
Topics: Alexander Gustafsson, Anthony Pettis, Benson Henderson, Chael Sonnen, Chris Weidman, Daniel Cormier, Demetrious Johnson, Dominick Cruz, EA Sports, Georges St-Pierre, Johny Hendricks, Jon Jones, Jose Aldo, Junior Dos Santos, Michael Bisping, Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, UFC, Urijah Faber, Video Games